The Ultimate SPAM® Cookbook: Crystal Wrap SPAM® Recipe
Excerpt and Recipe from The Ultimate SPAM® Cookbook
What do SPAM® products taste like?
In a word: magic. Of course, we’re biased, and if you haven’t had the good fortune of tasting magic before, that won’t tell you much. Speaking objectively, SPAM® products taste kind of like ham. It also tastes a little like pork roast. What we’re trying to say is that SPAM® products have a unique taste that’s unlike anything else out there. That taste also depends on the SPAM® product variety and how you prepare it. Grilling, baking, or frying will result in different textures and subtleties. So the best way to answer this question is to try it for yourself!
Sample this delicious recipe from The Ultimate SPAM® Cookbook submitted by Martin Yan, Chef and TV Host of Yan Can Cook and Owner of M.Y. China Restaurant in San Francisco, California below.
The SPAM® brand has been a favorite in Hawaiian, South Korean, and many other Asian households. Delicious and versatile, it goes well with any ingredient in any kind of dish. SPAM® products have been a constant staple in my pantry for years.”
The Ultimate SPAM® Cookbook is filled
with more than 100 unique recipes for every meal of the day—from breakfast hash in the morning and a pulled BBQ sandwich for lunch to savory grilled kabobs for dinner and even guacamole dip for a snack in between.
Crystal Wrap SPAM® Classic Recipe
Delicate in appearance and filled with flavor, these Crystal Wraps will be the jewels on your plate.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ cup diced carrot
- 2–3 fresh shitake mushrooms, diced
- ½ pound SPAM® Classic, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 8–10 small lettuce cups (iceberg or butter lettuce)
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster-flavored sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
I think my favorite part of the evolution of this popular canned pork is that all these years after my dorm-room SPAM® brand snacks, chefs in America are actually serving the canned meat with foie gras to paying customers who ordered it. And here I am writing the foreword to a book that’s continuing to transform the public’s perspective. So I now declare this mighty meat simultaneously highbrow and lowbrow—which means it’s very special no matter how you slice it.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients; set aside.
- Place a stir-fry pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add oil, swirling to coat sides. Add ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add bell pepper, carrot, and mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes. Add cubed SPAM® Classic and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- To serve, spread a little sauce in a lettuce cup, spoon in some of the SPAM® mixture, sprinkle with a bit of chopped cilantro and basil, fold lettuce around filling, and eat out of hand.
Award-winning actor Brian Baumgartner, who became a household name as ‘Kevin Malone’ on NBC’s series The Office, adds a new role to his resume: cookbook author. His hotly anticipated cookbook, Seriously Good Chili Cookbook is available for pre-order!
A quality camping trip calls for quality meals! This one-pot lasagna from the RV Camping Cookbook does not disappoint! With a quick prep and clean-up, you can spend more time on the open road with family than slaving away making a hot meal.
Sample 4 mouthwatering grilled cheese recipes from The Great Book of Grilled Cheese – including grilled cheese with spaghetti, mac and cheese, and bacon!
Get Exclusive Email Offers And Receive 15% OFF On Your First Book Order!